Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Survey Says ...

Perhaps in honor of GeoCities' demise, Miss Medicina is doing a web ring thing. At first I decided against doing it because all the interesting blogs in the world had already done it, and there wasn't much that I could offer over that. But then this post of Jong's inspired me. Yes. I will share with you my healing things, because being a Disc priest is just that awesome. I'm not tagging anyone. There's nobody but Matticus left to tag now, and nobody wants that on their conscience.

What is the name, class, and spec of your primary healer?

Jasra, Priest, Dis ::crack:: cipline with a side of Shadow (Shut up, Flora!).

What is your primary group healing environment? (i.e. raids, pvp, 5 mans)

I've been healing five mans, Heroics, and 10-man raiding for months now, usually as MT healer in raids and group healing 5-mans.

What is your favorite healing spell for your class and why?


Tough call. I would say Power Word: Shield, because I like bubbles. (See wut I did thar?) Bubbles make me think of carbonated drinks, which reminds me that it's time to freshen my RumandCoke.

But let's be honest here. Penance is about the coolest thing out there. Not only do I get to heal with it, but in a pinch it's an offensive weapon!  Not only that, but when you slap your MT with this baby, he knows it. His or her whole body jerks as the healing energy gets in there and kicks butt.
"The path of the righteous is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of epic bosses. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through Naxx on badge runs. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost loots. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious Smites those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Healer when I lay my Penance upon you."

Well, something like that.

The thing with Penance is that it fits in with healing as if Jules Winnfield had chosen to play a priest after he gave up life as a professional assasin. The same verve, passion, and exacting attention to detail as he, invariably, would have brought to the table.  I'm not saying you need a hand-stitched wallet with BAD MOTHER FUCKER embossed on it, but I'm not saying it would exactly hurt, either.

Except I'm fine with bacon. Bacon is delicious!

Anyway. Penance. It's cool.

What healing spell do you use least for your class and why?


Greater Heal; when I rely on that, Jas is OOMPriest in no time. My spec has and glyphing has perverted Flash Heal into my "slow" heal of choice. For the really big heals, see "penance" above.

What do you feel is the biggest strength of your healing class and why?

Priests are really the jack of all trades when it comes to healing. We can be point healers, raid healers, or even emo shadow-loving trickle healers and mana battery bitches. All other classes have at most one healing spec.  All of our specs can heal, for some value of 'heal'.

What healing class do you enjoy healing with most and why?


I like tree Druids and resto Shammis in raids because they compliment my point healing. The only down side of the shammi is that chain heal is unpredictable at times and we end up overwriting each other a lot without meaning to.

What is your worst habit as a healer?

(1) Situational awareness. I've been known to die without realizing it.  (2) Renew. I drop that sucker on everything. Tanks, DPS, pets, shrubberies and other decor... No wonder I go OOM so much.

What is your biggest pet peeve in a group environment while healing?

(1) People that attempt emotional blackmail and indirect methods to get you to come heal thier group.  Listen, just ask directly, OK? And if I say I'm busy, don't try to bargain.

(2) Playing alongside Captain Obvious types. In other words, I don't like healing stupid people. However, if they shut the hells up, I might toss a frisbee their way.  QUIET stupid people are moderately tolerable.

(3) People that stand in stuff. JUST DON'T.  If you make a habit of it, I will let you die.

Do you feel that your class/spec is well balanced with other healers for PvE healing?

Classwise, yes. Specwise, as long as I stick to my strengths.

What tools do you use to evaluate your own performance as a healer?

I don't do healing meters.  I know if I did my job, if my charge(s) is/are still standing. If we downed that boss.  And I know when I didn't do my job.   Recount is good to evaluate how you used your heals, but the HPS meter is useless, in my opinion.   But if I see a certain spell's healz to mana ration is low, I get interested.  I don't ignore analysis tools, but I only work with appropriate ones.

What do you think is the biggest misconception people have about your healing class?


That we're everyone's bitch. I run with a good bunch of people, so largely I am given proper respect as a person. It doesn't hurt that a lot of them have healer alts, so they appreciate my work, and I theirs. That helps a lot. But there are so many people that will abuse a healer's very nature.

While I'm on the subject, my favorite NON-healing role is the Tank. More than anyone else, the tank earns the healer's respect and loyalty. A good tank knows the healer's got his back, and a good healer knows that tank will take a NUCLEAR WEAPON IN THE FACE for you as long as you keep those heals coming.

In a way, it's kinda a co-dependent relationship, but it's the axis around which all other roles revolve. Discuss among yourselves.

What do you feel is the most difficult thing for new healers of your class to learn?


(a) Situational awareness. Almost everyone knows to load up Grid and bind things, right? But learning what to do when circumstances change ... that's the rub.  Don't stand in stuff. Stay alive. Learn to heal and be mobile (something I still need work on).

(2) Know when NOT to heal and conserve mana. Again, guilty. Sometimes it's unnatural to not be doing anything. I recommend playing with your wand in those cases.

If someone were to try to evaluate your performance as a healer via recount, what sort of patterns would they see (i.e. lots of over healing, low healing output, etc)?


They would likely see that the resto shammi was outhealing me and /kick me. Buh bye.

Seriously, Disc priests are not chart toppers. Single-target heals with little splash compared to multi-target heals with big splash. It's like comparing Blizzard versus Frost Bolt.


Haste or Crit and why?


Crit, then haste, because Crit has greater immediate effects. Haste has a downside, too: faster on the mana drain.  So something that gives me moar healz for the same mana makes me happy.

What healing class do you feel you understand least?


Holy Palli. I really have no idea how that works. I need to work on that.

What add-ons do you use, if any, to aid you in healing?


Grid. Clique. Decursive. Quartz. X-Perl. Rating Buster.

Do you strive primarily for balance between your healing stats, or do you stack some much higher than others, and why?


I tend to overbias on a stat until I reach a point I am happy with, then work on others. For example, for the last two months I have focused on SP over regeneration; recently I have decided I went too far on that so I am now biasing more towards regeneration until I can heal Iron Council without sweating bullets. Once I am happy with those two, I'll probably work Crit.

Of course, if I can get all four in an upgrade, I'm ecstatic.

There you have it. Enjoy, if possible!