Thursday, November 12, 2009

Oh, dragon poo

Wretched.

That's how I feel after our last few sessions in EoE.

For two or three nights running, we attacked that dragon. From the first pull, we did great in phases 1 and 2.  Typically we're going in to phase 3 with five minutes left on the timer.

We rarely see that five minutes go in full.

Invariably I die within the first 30 seconds, but I doubt it has much effect since I can't seem to heal worth a damn during that phase anyway.

It is very frustrating and made me want to crawl into a hole and pull the hole in after me.

It's so difficult, to do everything in your power to ensure that you are geared appropriately, have the right consumables, have studied rotations and methodologies, and can go a full fight and still have plenty of mana left in most, then to find that it all boils down to a gimmick fight in which none of the hard won lessons apply.

"Bring the player, not the class", they might parrot.  I contend that that is a cop-out.

You would never go into a raid with no healing classes, would you? Of course not.

If class isn't important, then why do we have them? If levels and gear are not important, why are they in the game?  Why don't we focus more on looking fabulous than getting that hideous mock turtleneck helm for its lovely stats?

Because class matters. Because gear matters. Because level and experience .. matter.  That malarkey about "bring duh player not duh class" was nothing but a catchphrase and it's taken on a twisted life of its own.

This phase is unrewarding and discouraging. Right now that's how I feel. I regret rolling on that damned key at this very moment because it put a quest in my quest log that I am at this moment considering ... not doing.

We do Ulduar tonight, and I dearly hope we bring our 'A' game because I could really use the boost associated with doing, well, well for a change.