Friday, July 31, 2009

Hope can not be denied

Note: this is part of a series.

It's nice to be appreciated, even if that's not really why I'm in this business. It's nice to know if I am, but at the end of the day I know in my heart if I've done a good thing or not. This business with Fai is just that; even thought it was obvious that he didn't want to burden  us with an extended search, it was also apparent that Uncle Grimm still had hope.   If he had a reasonable hope, then there was only one possible action - help him out whether he wanted it or not.

Success is not even the ultimate goal here. It could have come down to the worse possible of all outcomes, but at least we would have known, grieved, and moved on. Anyone that's been bumped up to health by a good Pennance bolt knows: sometimes healing can be painful.

Some days are good, some days are bad. The day that I saw comprehension on Faiella's face - that her place was still among us, no matter what - is probably the best day of my life. If I never raid again, if I never stand on the field of victory or loot an epic item, I will have that.

It is enough.

In the end, we all pitched in. Slithmere, Kutath, and Orlee to the south and west, Amus and Yarley to the east and north, Illume keeping the lines of communication open an providing a fast transportation system when it mattered the most. Flora was certainly my keenest ally in this quest, though, once she put two and two together. She hardly ever shows it, but she feels as strongly about this family, and Uncle Grimm, as anyone. She may have that Gnome Milo fooled, but I know what she's really made of, and it makes me happy to know that she's with us when we need her.

And I - we - will be there for her should she ever need us.