Friday, October 17, 2008

Moar dots, moar dots!

Last night marked Part I of my new spec experimentation. As expected, I specced Affliction. I'm not sure, but I think I'm going to have to call the whole thing a wash and start over.  The main reason was that the lag was so horrendous that my instant-casts were actually taking 3 seconds at times. It is extremely hard to gauge your performance in such a gimped environment.

Having said that, I only died once after hours of dotting everything in sight. I was quite reckless, too, sometimes sending my blueberry across several mobs to get at my first target, thus gathering a whole ... mob ... of mobs.

I have to say that - executed properly - this build is tough as nails and harder to crack than ROT-13. Get Siphon Life up, then Haunt, and you have a guaranteed health income to work with, sometime from multiple sources. Mana isn't a concern. Lifetap your heart out. It'll grow back.

I suspect that had I not been lagging so much, I would have seen better numbers and probably not died when I did.

So, it's a mixed bag. Overall, I am pleased. But I want a Mulligan to see what it can really do before I go Demon. I'd like also to run at least a Heroic if not Kara, but Grimm's going to hog Kara for at least one week, so I'll have to bide my time - unless they, you know, specifically ask for a warlock.

Random thoughts to finish off:
  • I am still not sure what my wardrobe choices should be now. There's badge pants that interest me. But I might hold off. I think partly it will depend on my final spec. For this build, high stamina will be better.
  • I have six - count them - six DoTs now: CoA, Corruption, Siphon Life, Immolate, Affliction, and Haunt. I quickly gave up on everything but CoA, Corruption, SL, and Haunt, because the mobs were dead before I was done casting everything.
  • DoTs critting? Holy CRAP.
  • <3 Haunt
  • The new graphics for many of the spells are cool.
  • Spellstones and Firestones - alas, they are soulbound.