Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Grim Business

It's been a while since I promised to publish my pics of my trip into Grim Batol. My apologies for the delay. You can find the original post about this day here. And now, the pics.

This is the front gate to the long defile that leads to the city proper. The little red pile in front of me is a dead dragonkin. There will be many more of those as we go along. Note how the gates were wrenched from the hinges.

Several dragonkin were guarding the defile leading up to the city. Here, Random and I explain to it in very small words Who Was Here First, and Why It Should Care.


Some of the present inhabitants are even less hospitable. This beefy fellow mailed my hide to me in a beer stein after separating my spirit from it. Three cheers for priests. We chose the "evade" plan after that.


About a quarter mile in, the second set of gates can be seen. As you can see, the dragonkin are keeping an eye out for us. The really odd thing is that this set of gates looks like it was breached from the inside.


Another quarter mile in, this set of gates guards the valley beyond in which the city is. You can't see it from here, but the city is another 1/4 mile in, and beyond that is the great river. Once again, breached from the inside? Most odd.

Here is the approach to the city as seen from the sentry point in front of it. What I want to know is: who's burning those lights in the windows? There's nobody in this valley, which makes it spooky. As you can see, the gates are sealed shut. No one enters, no one leaves.


It was finally time to go; I took a final snap of the beautiful city before bidding it adieu (that's elvish for Goodbye, I think). This angle really shows the city off, don't you think?

Here's a view you can get from no where else. The Dwarf that designed this dam was a Dark Iron dwarf. Now the Dark Irons want to destroy it. Ironic, don't you think?